Do not leave your donations outside either location. This helps to avoid pilfering and clutter.
If going to the Kankakee facility, please call 815-932-5814 before you leave home (or even before loading your items) to verify there is space to accept your donation. There may be times when storage space is limited or full.
If possible, please pack your donations in small boxes or 13-gallon trash bags. This ensures they are not too heavy to lift.
Donated items must be new or gently used — NOT stained, torn, or dirty.
Certain items are not acceptable for donation because of their usability or other specific reasons. Following is a list of items that are unacceptable for donation.
- Any items that have been “rescued” from a curb or home, or that have been in a fire or flood
- Any item that has been in a facility previously or currently being treated for bed bugs
- Anything retrieved from discarded items (“curb alert” items)
- Electronics: Televisions; printers or fax machines; computers or computer monitors; “boom boxes”; CD, DVD, or record players
- Used mattresses, regardless of condition (Health Department regulation)
- Encyclopedias, textbooks, or magazines
Items that are broken, torn, stained, or missing parts
- Car seats, regardless of condition
- Cribs that do not meet regulations (slats no more than 2-3/8" apart) or are missing ANY part(s), including hardware
- Used stuffed toys or stuffed animals
When you donate items to Harbor House or the Resale Shoppe, you will receive a receipt for your charitable donation.