One in three girls in the US is a victim of physical, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence. 
Learn the early warning signs of an abusive relationship. You have choices, and you can choose better relationships. You are valuable and deserve to be treated with respect.
Here are some warning signs that your date or partner may eventually become abusive.
- Extreme jealousy
- Controlling behavior
- Quick closeness and personal involvement
- Unpredictable moods and mood swings
- Believes in rigid gender roles (“all men do this,” “all women do that”), including in sexual relations
- Blames others for problems or feelings
- Explosive anger
- Isolates you from friends and family
- Uses physical force during a disagreement or argument
- Cruelty to animals or children
- Verbally abusive
- Abused former partners
- Threatens violence against you or others